Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Oxygen Delivery

I started at the gym tonight on a stationary bike because people wouldn't get off the elliptical trainers. :). 20 minutes on the bike, breathing hard.

Then I got on the elliptical and set it for 25 minutes plus a 5 minute cool down. I never slowed down a bit and for the first five minutes, I was struggling to get my breathing controlled.

Breath play. Yeah, not into that at all. ;). Lol No, I'm not kidding.

Once I had my breathing stabilized, the rest of my cardio time was relatively easy. I thought that was how it worked, mmm hmmm. I just have to get myself past that threshold of ineffective panic breathing so that I can keep going.

I suppose the elliptical is reading my heart rate correctly, because the bike read something similar. It pushed up to 189 beats per minute pretty fast and didn't drop lower than 180 until I was nearly in my cool down segment.

But I didn't feel bothered by that. I know that's far over the target heart rate for my age but I felt fine even then. Not lightheaded or anything.

I was in the zone. My shins even stopped aching. Endorphins? Maybe. But I wouldn't say it felt anything like euphoria. Something more like assurance of survival. Hahah I know, I'm pathetic.

Doctors have told me my heart is really strong. I'm going to be around for a long time barring unforeseen accidents and diseases. Unless, of course, I wind up giving it to save the leader of the Resistance in the machine-controlled post-apocalyptic future.

I always preferred Reese though. Michael Biehn... Wow.

I'm reading an article about adding something intense to my warmup to force myself into a good level of oxygen delivery much sooner. I have to learn more about that.

I hate that the first fifteen minutes of my running time feels so impossible. I'd rather have the "I've got this" feeling for more of the real workout. ;). I detest feeling like I'm in the middle of a protracted failure.

I'm not sure if It is even possible to make my body look the way I want it to... I'll really have to find a way to strip a lot of fat off of me. I read that until you hit the 30 mile a week threshold in running, that's not going to happen. Can I do it? Hey, don't start in about being too thin when I'm still in the wrong weight category. It isn't like I've had anybody telling me they like my body the way it is.

No appreciation = no opinions from the peanut gallery contradicting what I would like to see in the mirror. :P

Besides, one of my goals is to get there and make a lot of people mad. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment