Friday, June 15, 2012

Insomnia = Pre-Dawn Gym Time

I never slept last night. Honestly, I don't know what happened to the time, but at 4 am I showed no sign of sleepiness. (Warning... I know what it's a warning of, considering the depression I've been trying to recover from this week.)

At 4:45 I decided to go to the gym and use the elliptical because I knew my shins still wouldn't hold up for a training run today. Maybe it was the pain keeping me awake. I have got to drastically lighten the load on my poor legs.

There was nobody at the gym at all! It was a bit funny, because the signs clearly state that cardio machine use is limited to 30 minutes of use during the peak times of 5-7 am. Nobody here but us insomniac night owls!

I've never done that before, but I kinda liked doing it. :). It seems worth making a habit of I can drag my butt outta bed at such an unnatural time each day.

Still, it was a tad eerie, because I have an electronic key to get in, but so could anyone else, and there was no telling who might be hiding in there. On the brighter side, I didn't have to wear my earbuds and I played my tunes loud. Well, as loud as an iPhone will allow. :D

I was only alone until 5:25, when two men showed up. They had the whole gym but stayed near me, and that bothered me enough to start cataloging their tattoos. Just to be on the safe side.

As you do.

I wondered if they wanted to be side by side on the same style of elliptical, but I was in the middle of a 35 minute workout on mine. Well, if they want things their way, they need to get their earlier, right? I did, and I'm an avowed night owl. One did kind of a lame routine sliding his feet back and forth on one machine... I don't see what good it could possibly have done. The other just vanished. Then another woman arrived and left without coming in. Then she came back. Donut run, maybe?

I did the elliptical. Thank goodness, no shin pain but a lot of sweating and calories burned. (whatever good that'll do me, as usual.). Then I did weightlifting. Then I did 35 minutes on a bike. 2 solid hours of exertion. I know I have to rest my shin tendons from the punishment of running, but still strengthen and cross train to burn calories.

Oooh, that stinging hot shower I took right after I got home was blissful....

Maybe I can sleep now that I'm shivering?

No comments:

Post a Comment