Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Run 7 - an improvement

My shins didn't hurt very much while I was running. Sure, I could feel them being taxed with the effort, but it wasn't the sharp pain of a few days ago.

Wouldn't you know, halfway through the run breathing became easier and recovery periods needed were shorter.

It's the first half of the run that's the challenge, for some reason. If I could just do my official training run when things aren't hurting quite so much, ah, it would be much nicer. I worry about running out of steam, though.

After finishing the 5k training run, I decided to finish at 3.2 miles by walking the rest of the distance. But then I decided to try to speed up my mile timing so I kept jogging on and off. :).

That part was much easier. I just wish it didn't take so long for me to get into the "zone" where I need to be to run comfortably.

My shins are aching just a little bit right now, but I believe some Tylenol will take care of it.

So, progress. I just have to keep reminding myself that speed comes later, when I can manage the breathing and distance. Right now I'm astounded that I ran that first 5k at 45 minutes with no training and no warmup that day.

I did start that race running, whereas my training runs start with 5 minutes of walking, so I suppose that accounts for my crummy finishing times now. I suppose I pushed myself harder than I knew I could handle back when I didn't know what to expect. Lol

Here's to continuing to improve. :). Considering that I haven't been "a runner" since I was 14, and I'm now 41, maybe I'm not doing so badly after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment