Thursday, August 2, 2012

Stromboli Experiment :)

Last night I made something new. I wasn't sure how it would turn out because I was making up the recipe, once again, as I went along. Ham & Cheese Stromboli. Mmmm, it was yummy. I didn't need to worry after all.

1 package of bread frozen bread dough was what the original recipe (in one of my "Dinner's in the Freezer" Kindle cookbooks) specified, but there wasn't any in the store, so I bought refrigerated traditional pizza dough instead. I didn't have to thaw it out and it didn't need to rise like the bread dough would have required.

I unrolled the dough flat on a stoneware baking pan and cut it in half, because I'm the only human in the house and I wanted to freeze some for later. (If it freezes well, I may double the batch next time and have four small loaves to work with.)

Then I chopped up smoked ham and sprinkled that liberally over the dough. I used 1/2 a pound of ham. Over that I sprinkled shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and some rosemary herb seasoning. Last, I drizzled a liberal amount of honey Dijon mustard over the fillings. (Next time I'll go a little lighter on the rosemary seasoning, because it tasted great but didn't seem to agree with me. )

Then I rolled each Stromboli up, tucked the ends under, and pinched them shut to seal. Baked them at 350 for 25 minutes, took one out to thoroughly cool, wrapped in plastic and then foil, then froze it. The second loaf I cooked for another 10 minutes while it browned a little. When I cook the frozen one, I'll need to thaw it completely and then cook another ten minutes or so. We'll see how that goes. :). It made a tasty cold lunch today though.

No comments:

Post a Comment