Thursday, October 18, 2012

So How Do I Feel?

Well, my shins ached yesterday. I elevated them a lot, tried to stretch a little, and attempted to walk and stand right all day long, but I caught myself trying to stand on the outside edges of my feet again.

Two hours daily of patrolling the cafeteria isn't helping my healing, and I can't get out of it. Oh well. I'm having trouble sleeping at night too. It took a double dose of melatonin to make me sleepy last night. So I'm back to afternoon naps, for hours at a time, and still tired at bedtime, but not sleepy.

I know, it seems like my naps are sabotaging my sleeping at night, but this round started with no naps at all. I'm just so tired when I get home I have to sleep right then.

Massage time today. I hope it helps my owwies so they will stop plaguing me by Saturday morning.

I realize I'm spending a lot of time lately talking like I'm a "real runner." I'm a real BEGINNING runner. Lol. Very beginner. I'm doing this without a coach, out of shape and middle aged, in the South where heat and humidity were challenges when I began my solo and self-guided training. I've been doing a lot of reading. That's about all I've got, along with a 5k, recurrent shin splints, and nearly three months of training.

It's not an easy position to begin from. But I want to be able to enjoy running, without excessive pain. I want to lose weight, and running is the only exercise that has showed any effect on that effort.

I know that if I persist carefully, even I can do this. Because a 5k isn't really all that great of a distance if you can run most of the way. If you can manage the breathing without panicking, and get your legs strong enough, you can do this.

I did it, with NO training, no warm up, no cool down, in shorts, late November, a lot heavier than I am now. and in the wrong kind of shoes, running the wrong way, and about to be hit with a nasty cold that very afternoon. I did it. So it is do-able. Just a bite at a time.

Oddly enough, it has made me crave healthy food. Lol.

Back later... Lunch break is over.

My shins are still aching a little bit (hopefully, that is healing damage that I will stop causing over and over), and my calves are a little sore. So I'm taking it easy this week, not running before the race, and elevating my shins as often as possible. This actually makes them hurt, and I don't know why, but maybe it's a beneficial owwie, since I'm already prone to lower leg edema.

Another good reason to get my legs in good running shape -- better circulation should mean less edema.

No comments:

Post a Comment