Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I'm Sweating... Ammonia?

For a while now, I've been a little paranoid about how I smell after working out. I'm not talking about how normal sweat smells, and I won't stay sweaty without showering long enough for it to turn into a body odor issue. Ick. Gross.

There is no way that I could have on clean clothes going to the gym and come home smelling of ammonia. Or so I had thought.

Last night after my monster workout, I headed to the store for some dinner to cook and went home to eat. But all through my drippy sweaty workout (big drops falling on my shoulders and startling me, because I'm not a "sweater"), I kept getting whiffs here and there of ammonia coming from my clothes. Maybe it was my running shirt, I thought. It is made of a wicking material, so maybe that's just the nature of the fabric, but yuck.

I ate, then I showered, and then I went to bed. I didn't need anything to make me drowsy. Somehow I dropped right off, and I was actually in bed by 11. Really unusual for me. I just felt that good kind of tired that follows a successful workout, you know?

Well.... I woke up this morning, and I was aware that I must have been sweating for a while as I slept. At three am, a beep on my iPad woke me up, but I was feeling comfortable at the time and went right back to sleep, with a grin and a chuckle because the comment that beeped was pretty funny.

I woke up a little sweaty, but still covered from my neck down. Lol. I suppose I must have been burning a decent amount of calories even while I was sleeping, but I got out of bed and realized I smelled like I'd been spritzed with ammonia again. Yuck. Even my dog was keeping his distance.

A little research told me that I'm not imagining the ammonia sweat. And why is this not a thing anybody ever warned me could happen? Like in health class or one of my college PE classes? Oh, right. I went to college back in the dark ages - the 1990s. More knowledge has been gained in the world of exercise since I last had any instruction.

It's a signal of imbalanced nutrition -- high protein and inadequate carb intake. :D. Which means I'm not eating enough carbs. Quick, somebody tell my Dad before he nags me again about needing to cut all carbs from my diet! I need more... Pass me some chips. Okay, make that an apple. ;). I was just kidding about the chips.

The other thing I have to do is drink a lot more water, to dilute the ammonia my kidneys obviously can't excrete enough of.

More on this later... I just wanted to put this out there, in case someone has been too polite to tell me I really smell weird when I'm exercising hard. :).

Yet again, confirmation that I have to eat more. Okay. I'm working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment