Wednesday, January 23, 2013

That's a lot of oatmeal...

In my effort to be a healthier eater, I have made homemade peaches and cream oatmeal for my breakfast the past two days, and it has kept me from getting hungry from 6:30 when I eat it, all the way past my 10:30 lunchtime. I still ate the lunch I brought on Tuesday, even though I wasn't all that hungry, because 10:30 to nearly 5:00 is a very long time, before I can get home from work for a snack.

I love convenience foods, but prepackaged oatmeal is never a good deal, nor a good nutritional idea for me. So I made my own mix sort of ahead of time.

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (I was going for 2 "heart healthy" servings for two days' breakfasts.)
3 cups milk

*** Cooked the oats & milk in the microwave until done. Realized that the basic instructions provide for some really soupy, runny oats when cooked. Added in more oats. Let cool and packed into two containers for breakfast.

When I woke up, I added half a cup of canned peaches (packed in juice), a couple of spoons of raw honey, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and reheated in the microwave. Mmmm yummy.

But you know, this turned out to be about two cups of fiber filled breakfast for each day after all the liquid puffed up the oats, so I felt overstuffed for several hours on Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I was insanely thirsty, so I drank nearly 100 ounces of water. I couldn't get enough water.

Wednesday, my body said "Yeah, THANKS for the sudden influx of oats, water, and fruit that I'm not used to," and decided to get rid of all excess baggage, apparently including my liver, spleen, and a kidney.

You know how it is. You don't want to go through it, but after that sudden loss of twenty pounds is over and things calm down, you feel like a great weight has been lifted. Or dropped. For a little while, there is peace and you hope you are off the hook from any further unpleasantness.

And then you start having to put up with bs from other people once again. The crap is never truly gone. Somebody just keeps on piling it up somewhere.

I think my body was saying, thanks for the oats, but next time, let's try half that amount and see how we do, okay? And how about a little protein with it? I think that I could substitute some vanilla protein powder for the vanilla extract and accomplish that, since cooking an egg is something I really don't have time to add to the morning routine.

I've gotten seven servings of fruits & veggies yesterday and today, but I was still hypoglycemic and hungry by the time I got home at four today. I ate an apple and was hungry again in half an hour. I took a nap that was supposed to be an hour before the gym and ended up being three hours. I was just so darn TIRED.

I never made it to the gym. Boo. If I went at 8 pm, my heart rate would be too elevated to sleep. That's what got me on Monday night, which created my sleep deficit resulting in my long nap today.

*sigh*. When will I get this right? Running is wearing me out, but I want to get to the point where I can run longer distances to make myself lose weight. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment