Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Confused About My Fatigue

Okay, so where's the "boundless energy" I'm supposed to be feeling after three months of clean eating? I'm more fatigued than ever before, to the point I've had to take extra rest days from the gym. Seven hours of sleep each night, and I am worn out. I took a three hour nap after work today instead of going to the gym and I'm about to go to sleep again.

It leaves me with a lot of questions.

Is this just the second stage of what happened to me twenty years ago when diabetes hit me as a strong and lean young woman? I felt my energy drain away when it happened.

Surely this isn't part of female aging. Constant exhaustion despite good exercise and healthy eating is NOT part of a gradual change of hormone balance.

Am I really going to have to eat more? I feel stuffed as it is. It seems like I'm always eating and I still come in under 1500 calories a day. It isn't like I'm losing weight.

There is a voice whispering that something's wrong under the surface that's unrelated to anything else. Well, it took nine years of pestering for my doctor to listen to me and give me a glucose tolerance test, which I failed.

(Not the only doctor I asked to test me when hypoglycemia started happening. I suppose a more dramatic event would have impressed them, like going into a diabetic coma behind the wheel of my car?)

See? I was right all along. Though I rarely run to a doctor for help, I do pay attention to how I'm feeling.

I don't waste time in a doctor's office for a sniffly nose four times a year when my allergies stir up. But if it settles into my lungs, I will go. I just believe my body should try to work out its own problems with proper nutrition and exercise, if at all possible. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, eh? :)

Still, what would I tell a doctor if I went? I'm tired all the time and I shouldn't be? I wouldn't know what to say, other than my joints all hurt, and that might be because of my shoes. (I've modified my new shoes, by the way. More on that later.)

Coming up on 10,000 views of my blog. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment