Saturday, April 13, 2013

Are You Eating That Metal Thing???

Each morning as I shake up my drink mix in one of my blender bottles, there is inevitably one kid that asks what is the wire spiral sphere in the bottle, and if I'm going to eat / drink / swallow that thing, and what is that pink stuff in the bottle. They've asked similar questions about the alien substance in my bowl, and it makes me wonder if they've never eaten a bowl of oatmeal before.

I mean, really?

I suppose that with Katniss Everdeen being unable to identify the strange white grain she was fed (likely rice), even today's children may not have encountered something as basic and wholesome as old-fashioned oats. How would they flip out if they encountered steel-cut oats, I wonder? :). Such exotic foods.

Sometimes I'm tempted to tell them to I am trying to treat my likely chromium deficiency by yes, slowly dissolving in pink liquid, the wire ball inside the shaker bottle. I may tell that story yet, just for laughs. :D A gullibility litmus test. Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary? Go look and see!

Then I ask them to think about shaking a can of spray paint or bottle of nail polish, and explain what the metal ball inside is doing as they shake it through the separated paint components. It's just an agitator, and we have all experienced the unpleasantness of mixing a powdered drink such as hot chocolate and Kool-Aid (even the "purple Kool-Aid" we are all so fond of, even as adults who should know better), taking a drink, and finding gritty chunks of undissolved powder hitting our teeth.

I tell them it's the spoon to break up the chunks of powder, and understanding dawns ever so slowly across their sleepy morning faces. :)

Then someone asks me what the pink stuff is. Plexus. I'm hoping that the chromium in it will do something to improve my insulin resistance and force my body to use all of that glucose in my bloodstream as muscle fuel instead of storing every last bit in fat and leaving me so tired all of the time.

Because that's what it does. My body ignores insulin, and instead of replenishing glycogen stores in my muscles the way a normal person's does, it turns most of my blood sugar into fat to be stored. The more fat you have, the more insulin is ignored. Burn the fat by exercising? I love that idea! But the muscles are supposed to be burning that glucose as fuel, and they are ignoring the insulin knocking with the bundles of glucose to burn. Then they fatigue fast and I grow fat instead of burning it as muscle fuel. This problem comes hand in hand with chromium deficiency. And dangerously high triglycerides. And inexplicable weight gain. Inevitably, full-blown type 2 diabetes.

I'd like to thank the hometown doctors who never explained the interrelation of ANY factors, as they said only that I needed to lose weight and I'd have to exercise, almost blatantly accusing me of lying about my hours spent sweating at the gym for nearly two years. Could it be that they don't know as much as they are supposed to? "It's not my specialty, so you need to stop reading medical articles on the Internet like you know more than a DOCTOR," being their standard response.

Turns out the gifted endocrinologist is nothing more than a Phentermine pusher. I wonder why he never thought to give me a fasting glucose test. Well, he also glanced at the tumor under my jaw and said it was a goiter, maybe even thyroid cancer. Nowhere near my thyroid. The ENT who removed the tumor was astounded that a real doctor would get it so obviously... Wrong... And not even attempt a biopsy of the golf ball sized growth.

Hey man, did you actually study in med school? How many years ago was that? If teachers have to keep on with continuing education, why don't doctors in our town? Did the evolution of medical science stop when they got their MDs? I do wonder... It's why I'm slowly moving my medical business to more forward thinking cities with doctors who check out things like disfiguring tumors.

Anyway, I did a lot of research about what works on insulin resistance, and I'm giving Plexus a try for a few weeks to see if it helps with my energy levels. (Making them where they should be anyway, with the fuel I have been providing my cells.) If weight loss is a side effect, great. It might just be the logical result of making my cells receptive to insulin once again. I'm sure I won't grow plentiful insulin receptors in just a week, so the experiment may take a couple of months. I hope I have some good results. I'm tired of being tired, despite doing all the right things to NOT be tired, you know?

When someone tells you I'm sweet, now you know just how literally true that is. :). It's probably why pheromone perfume smells musky and perfumy on everyone else, and it smells like a fruit salad on me. I probably even taste sweet, but don't try biting me to find out. I'd take that *really* personally. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment