Friday, May 17, 2013

Calm Day Off to Rest, Yeah, Sure... LOL

Today I took a personal day off from work.  Originally, my plan was to take my nephews to the Renaissance Festival, but the eldest couldn't be sure of a day off work, and I realized that it might not be a good idea to make the younger boys miss school the day before exams started.  

I didn't get much sleep this week, so I decided to sleep late today. Now I'm regretting it, because I have a raging headache. So here I am drinking a latte in my bed, Hoping for some caffeine relief. It's just me and my puppy.

It's going to be a day of rest, relaxation, and taming a mountain of laundry.  Not so much fun as necessary. I think every pair of socks I own is dirty. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to pull the holey socks out of the clean ones, darn the holes, and stash them with my travel stuff to wear and then throw away when I go to Europe next year.  I have too many raggedy socks as it is.

It may sound crazy, but last year I threw away old clothes when I traveled and it was a wonderful thing. It meant that I didn't have to feel guilty about throwing away a couple of shirts with unremovable stains as well as not having to drag dirty underwear around with me. My other clothes I washed along the way, but I took a pair of underwear for every single day and just discarded them as I went along. Let's be honest, they had seen better days. LOL. I wouldn't want anyone else to see that underwear anyway.  I think that this time, as I accumulate discardable clothing, I'll go ahead and put it in a travel bag in the closet.  

That's what I do with all of my travel size items anyway. I keep them all together in a big Ziploc bag with my suitcase, so that I can pack for a trip pretty quickly.  (And lightly.  I've figured out some useful packing tips, but I put those on a different blog.  Lol). http://itravellight.blogspot.com/ 

I'm not really a world traveler (YET! It's part of my future plans, though - only six countries visited so far) but I am an obsessive packer who has managed to change from the "everything but the kitchen sink and major luggage to tote it in" philosophy to one of carrying only what's absolutely necessary, and condensing it into the smallest possible amount of baggage.  It was a combination of losing my luggage and the realization that I'd wagged around too much heavy stuff and brought home unused clothes and other items which altered my mindset.  

Until you've spent five days in Italy without most of your things, I think it's hard to understand why someone like me insists on carrying on all of my luggage when allowed.  (One carryon and 1 personal item, that is.) I think I summed it up nicely by telling the other travelers in my group that I was just too neurotic to trust airlines with my stuff.  I'm okay with them thinking I'm odd when it means I can still enjoy my usual shower-and-get-ready routine without too much upheaval... and have enough stuff to share with my roommate, whose luggage was missing for several days.  ;)

Sudden change messes with my patience and I wanted everyone to see only the most pleasant side of me possible.  :). I think I managed that, even when I was in a lot of pain on that trip.  (Meralgia Paresthetica in my right leg. In layman's terms, most of the time my right thigh is numb; often it feels like electric shock going on, sometimes itching under the skin, but the worst is when it feels like my leg is erupting in electrical fire.  That's when I cry, because it makes me terrified that it'll never stop. No useful remedy for the problem.) I just have to live with it.  I could always have much worse problems, right?

Second load of laundry is a'going. :) Yay.  Oh, and I got some news that makes me happy, last night.  :) Hoping for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment