Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More Than a Little Tired

Tonight at the gym I did 2.6 miles on the elliptical, and 1.8 miles on the treadmill for my cardio day.  I ran nonstop for fifteen minutes and then I ran a little more. 

I was stress-testing my heart and shins.  How high could I push my heart rate & would my shin splints come back with a vengeance? I admit I'm feeling a little self-destructive lately. And it would be a lie to say my gym sessions don't hurt me every single time, but I'm going to hurt even if I skip the gym, so I might as well try to get some useful results out of it.  If I can now toe-press 125 pounds, (After I do leg presses, I use the front of my feet and push just with my lower legs, which has sculpted them) shouldn't my shins be getting strong enough to run without shin splints? You would think so, right?  I burned over 820 calories, until my leg started twingeing with pain up the back into my hip.

And then I limped.  *Sigh*.  If it makes you change the way you walk, you have to stop.  

I couldn't get my shoes snug enough without pulling the laces too tight.  I wonder if I really do need wide shoes? Maybe I need normal shoes given how quickly I stretch them out and my feet roll around in the shoes. Maybe they need a snugger structure.  I suppose I could try some shoes out locally and order them from Zappos if they seem okay.  

The breathing aspect of running I've got down.  It's when the pain of an uneven gait crops up that I start having trouble.  Nothing like dragging a dead leg when you're already doing badly in a race. It's a spirit killer.  

Oh well.  At least I was able to maintain a 13:02 pace pretty well.  I was distracted by the pain in my feet, shins, leg, and both hips and just didn't want to keep running hard, although I had a better time deliberately increasing my cadence and trying to remember to push off with my feet.  I've often wondered what it would be like to run without having to think about every foot strike. I can't just abandon my thinking because I have to concentrate so hard on rehabilitating my poor broken feet.

They say that every runner has an occasional bad run.

I have an occasional almost half-decent run.  Running alone sucks every time.

I had my alarm set for 5 am Monday. I was going to try for a pre-dawn run in my neighborhood, but right after I got into bed Sunday night at nearly 1 am, my dog started freaking out barking, and I thought someone was breaking in.  It was my nephew, in a panicked search for his missing puppy.  I helped him comb the neighborhood for almost an hour, then he discovered that Milo was safe at home, avoiding the temptation of an open door and sleeping soundly. So I went to bed and not long after I got to sleep (sometime around 2 am), my eldest nephew called to ask why we were sending him urgent texts.  All this was okay, like I said, that's what I'm here for.  :). 

So I didn't get up at 5 to run.  I was zonked, and I stayed that way all day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment