Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Zombie Movies Always Make Me Remember...

... that I'm not comfortable with the state of my disaster prep kit!  

I saw World War Z yesterday and when the protagonist took his family on the run, I started thinking that I really need a good knife for my kit.  Oddly enough, after the movie my brother showed me his Ka-Bar camp knife.  Lol. Coincidence that we think on the same lines? I don't know, but I should tell you about our birthmarks some time.  

I'm still undecided about the water storage problem.  Supposedly water in plastic bottles left in a hot car leach cancer-causing parabens.  But I can't store glass bottles of water for an emergency.  What's the safe thing to do about keeping an emergency supply of water in the car?  And what about food? It needs a long shelf life but it should be lightweight for carrying in a backpack.

This isn't really about a fear of zombies.  I had a dream that really freaked me out about 21 years ago, about a massive disaster that put me on the run and I was not prepared.  Granted, I was running from werewolves, and it ran like the script of a horror movie.  But it was just a dream -- nothing to give me a permanent case of the heebie-jeebies.  

And then the earthquake and tornado worries set in, for real, in my waking world.  And then there were the ice storms.  People locally without food, shelter, heat, and water, and no preparation for it at all.  They just didn't see it coming, and I don't want to ever be completely helpless like that. 

Hey, I get aggravated when I can't get my hands on the right tools or materials for a project.  It would really drive me nuts to be without something simple, like a knife, in an emergency.  

It's true that I might be a tad over-prepared for most situations, but that's better than being caught with your proverbial pants down, isn't it?  

Even when I walk my dog at night, I'm armed.  A man was shot in the head, a couple of streets over from my house a couple of weeks ago.  I don't want to take any chances, and I have to walk my dog.  I'm just being prepared.



No comments:

Post a Comment