Sunday, September 8, 2013

Breaking the Barrier

I ran last night.  Truth be told, I was planning to run yesterday afternoon, but it was 90° all day!  Pretty toasty for September, even around here.  My nephew had called me earlier in the afternoon to ask for a ride home from the county fair, and when I picked him up, he looked reminiscent of a drowned rat.  His dark brown hair was hanging in sweaty strings all around his face.  

By 6:30, I decided to go and run, but it was still 88°.  80° with high humidity is the danger zone for running.  I don't know what else to do.  If I run on the treadmill, I can't participate in the Nike+ Challenges I've signed up for.  The app is incredibly unreliable at tracking treadmill miles.  If I run outside, I have to deal with extremely high heat and humidity.  It's like training in Hell.  If I avoid running in heat entirely, that gives me a good two weeks of autumn's comfortable running weather, and sudden cold winter temperatures.  

Sometimes we have very mild winters, true, but last winter ran through April.  May was a brief respite of springtime temps, and then boom! Blasted with broiling summertime heat again!  May I put  in a request for six more weeks of fall, another month of spring, and perhaps just two months of living in an oven in the summertime?  I mean, really, is there a benefit to weather so hot it causes me to have asthma attacks?  Baking cookies in your car is a silly trick at best.  

I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to fall in love with Ireland and the UK's summer temperature next year, and I won't ever want to leave.  *sigh*. Maybe I should just find myself a British guy and move over there.

Back to my point.  Sunset was at 7:15 and I was really afraid to run at my usual place, which is, honestly, boring and frustrating me to death.  I don't feel that I'm improving any there and it irritates the crap out of me to see random strangers misusing the property when there are no students there.  I mean, really, they love taking their dogs to do their business in the middle of the yard where the children play kickball and football! Have a little consideration! At least pick up after your dog and obey the leash law so your large black lab doesn't go chasing after me. Again.

So I headed for the only running path in town at the park.  There were several people out there walking, so I felt very comfortable.  There are even lights throughout the park, along the path.  I ran for the first two miles, several times going faster than my typical tooth-pulling pace, and then I finished my third.  By then it was really dark, and several of the darker areas on the path were insufficiently lit.  A little bit creepy.  Mental note to arrive an hour earlier next time.  

I did figure out a mental game to play with myself.  Whenever I started trying to rationalize that I was too tired to keep running, and I should walk the rest of the way, I decided THAT was the perfect time to break into a run again.  Run run run. See her run.  Run, Jane, run! 

By the time I finished the third mile, I decided to keep going for a fourth, because I'd had my "long" run the week before for over four milers, and it was a shame not to do that much again.  When I finished the fourth, I wanted test myself and see if a fifth mile was possible.  Turns out it was, and I finished 5.02 miles. ( I only walked further the day we toured Rome on our own last summer, and i was DEAD the rest of that day and the next. ) So I broke my own distance barrier.  And then, of course, I walked my dog later for an extra half mile.  I just have to start earlier when I want to go further.

At some point, I'd have to increase my mileage anyway.  Someday I intend to run a half marathon, and then maybe a full marathon.  This is the only way to do it.  I think that increasing my mileage slowly will someday enable the miles on my shorter runs to pass easier.  

Running before dawn scares me for much the same reason as running after dark -- there are greater chances of being assaulted in the dark.  I wouldn't worry at all if anybody I knew would ever join me, but I guess they're going to live with it if something does happen to me.  

I didn't listen to any music yesterday.  I just listened to the cars passing, the leaves rustling in the complete lack of breeze, kids playing in the playground.  Someone was grilling, and I could smell the smoke from the fire.  :). It was nice.  Actually, I think being able to hear my own speedier cadence was encouraging.  And no headphone wires to tangle and aggravate me.  Joy.  That's about the limit of joy in my life, so it's a small one, but I'll take it.
ZombieWeen 5k

I came home and registered for three different charity races last night, all zombie-themed: Zombieween, a 5k; Happy Brainsgiving, a 10k; and Season's Eatings, a 12k.  They're virtual races, which means that I choose my time and locations, and I get personalized racing bibs and medals for finishing.  Yay!  I'm not one of those runners who gets all up in arms because a 5k runner doesn't "deserve" a finisher's medal.  I'm one of the runners wondering hey, why have all the races I've participated in, never given finishers medals at all?  *pout*. I want some bling!   The proceeds go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  (Look for Virtually Awesome Races on Facebook). I may provide links later, when I'm on a real computer again.  

BrainsGiving 10k

Race photos?  I don't have any of those either.  None of my races have bothered.  Boo.  I'd I probably look like a hag anyway, but that's beside the point!  My cheeks become cherry red from the incredibly salty sweat that pours out on my face. My skin is covered in gritty powdered salt when the sweat dries too.  All this from a chick who didn't use to be able to sweat much at all when I was younger.  I suppose I'm getting closer to my proper hydration point.  Sweating is good.  Sweat is cooling.  I hate the smell of my own sweat.  Lol


Season's Eatings 12k

I can't deny that a little bling will make me happy, because I'm used to races where they forgot people are still trying to finish, races where they snidely say at the finish line that they didn't bother keeping time past the first 200 finishers and don't have water for the slow people.  That attitude made me not want to participate in another race, and it actually made me skip the one I was signed up for the following month.  I was expecting camaraderie. Got snobbery instead. Oh well.  It just tells me which events I don't want to support again, no matter what charity or school team they are collecting cash for.

No comments:

Post a Comment