Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Do I Hafta Run?

(Do I have to?)

I'm still sore from Monday.  All right, I knew that would happen.  I made myself go to the gym yesterday and I did 45 minutes on the elliptical, because something twisted inside of me told me that my usual 33 minute program wasn't long enough.  And I raised the resistance level.  All the while I told myself that if I became lightheaded, I could always stop early.  

Well... I didn't.  :). I did have to pee rather badly when I finished, but there was a group of chatty hens hanging out, entirely blocking the entrance to the locker room.  I walked over and they just looked at me like they didn't know what I wanted.  I said excuse me, and one finally let me pass.  Hello? Do you have a clue why I'm standing here, all shiny with sweat? I'VE GOTTA GO!  

So, no problem there after they let me through.  I made it, and all that.  But my underwear was sweat-soaked.  Yeah, ewww.  Lol. The only article of clothing I was wearing that was all cotton.  Everything else was designed to wick sweat away, but only the cotton undies stay put lately.  Grr.  Unfortunately, on the way out, there they were in my way again.  And again I had to rouse them from their oblivion to get past.

Don't you know how short tempered a woman my age can be when she has just survived over exerting herself?  Then again, I don't have much practice at being a chirpy social butterfly at the gym, and I probably look angry when I'm tired as it is.  

So I decided it was a great idea to hop on the treadmill and do a mile. :). I did more than a mile, and I pushed myself pretty hard on speed.  Having hit the pace of 13 minutes per mile earlier this year, I wanted to see if I could maintain 12 minutes.  I did... For a little while.  

I'm tired of seeing people online whine about how slow they are, at 8 minutes a mile.  So freaking arrogant sounding in the face of someone who struggled to get to 15 minutes per mile.  (Damn divas!) Yes, I want to be fast, but full-figured bra technology was slow in arriving in my world.  Now that I can afford what I need, I get it.  

And now that my shin splints have FINALLY stopped plaguing me, I can do more.  So much for the caveat that it takes 6 months to a year for the musculoskeletal system to adapt to running... I'm well into year two.  But it's okay, because I'm getting better, despite my tight hips.  Anybody wanna help with that? (There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.)

The only thing I know to do is for me to keep challenging myself to harder goals until I can't improve any more.  My body will either rise to the challenge, or tear apart.  Lol

I ran last night, but it went well, so I'm tempted to just run one mile outside this evening.  I'm also tempted to stay inside because running two days in a row hasn't been good for me yet.  Hmm.  I don't know what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment