Thursday, March 6, 2014

Grandaddy's Ladder

I never knew my grandfather -- he did years before I was born.  But I have something of his -- his wooden ladder.  It's been on an extended loan to me for a long tone.  

It's just a standard household ladder - not quite tall enough for climbing onto the roof, and it has become very rickety with age.  The wood has dried, the joints have loosened.

My father gets angry that I don't use it, but to be honest, I'm not sure it'll hold my weight.  I have a horrible premonition of the wood cracking and the ladder disintegrating with me on it, every time I touch it.  So it has been retired all these years as a useless family relic of the past.  It's taking up space because I am to store forever all things that make someone else nostalgic.  

I got in trouble when I put my grandmother's 1960s broken end tables out on the curb.  I was supposed to feature them in my living room forever, but they fell apart on me.  Similarly, I was taken to task over not wanting to hang onto an old canister vacuum that no longer worked. I won those battles, but the ladder I still have.

Recently I've seen mention of turning old ladders into painting easels. Hey, if I did that, I could paint larger canvases at home, or even... Make a whiteboard easel to use in my classroom.  I've been without a whiteboard or chalkboard in my classroom for six years because there are built-in workstations topped with permanent bookshelves -- the walls are inaccessible for normal usage of whiteboards by nature of the room itself.  And yes, of COURSE that has cost me points on my evaluations for not utilizing my whiteboard! ...though there was no whiteboard provided at all and there would be no way to reach it without standing on desktops to use it. (Not fair, but there it is.)

Fortunately, Lowes sells sheets of whiteboard that I can use, as long as I take them down off the bookshelf every time I need to do that.  No spontaneity in that, lemme tell you.  

So I'm thinking about converting the ladder to a whiteboard easel, and turning a useless hand-me-down into something useful once more. I think my grandfather would like that.  :) 

Maybe my dad will too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment