Thursday, October 23, 2014

Greedy Monopolizing Companies

I'm rather aggravated.  This is going to take some explanation.  

My Cricut, an electronic cutting machine, was languishing unused because I couldn't do the things I wanted to do with it.  I suddenly decided to try making it useful again, and bought a few new cartridges, none of which created the effect desired.  Darn it, those cartridges are expensive.  

I cut some vinyl with it and created a name sign for my classroom. I also monogrammed my water bottle. Unfortunately, you can't do a whole lot of overlapping with the options are presented, and Cricut really doesn't provide a decent monogram capability.  Well, at least as far as I know, because I have one of the original machines and I'm not going to buy one of the brand-new ones just for new options, which still won't to allow me to do what I want to do. 

So I dug out my old laptop, on which I had installed a purchased copy of the program Sure Cuts A Lot.  It is a fabulous program, which overcomes the limitations of using a Cricut. Unfortunately, the parent company who wrote the software was sued by the makers of Cricut,  basically to punish them for coming up with a much better idea that made purchasing extra cartridges unnecessary.  Truly, Provo craft should have thought of this themselves. I understand they lost a lot of sales in 2013 to newer machines that could use extra features easily.

Well, the laptop wouldn't stay on long enough for me to get the software off of it. I investigated and found that the CMOS battery was likely dead -- after four years in a drawer I'm sure it was dead, and I bought that computer seven years ago.  So I cracked open my laptop and replaced that battery. 

But that didn't fix the problem. The laptop will not stay on. Honestly, I was thinking about making it a machine dedicated to that particular software.  Now it looks like I will have to transfer all of that hard drive information over to another PC laptop.   I don't want to buy another PC laptop.  *sigh*. 

It looks like the only thing that I can do is to take my laptop hard drive and put it in to another computer as a slave drive. I never wanted to buy another PC laptop again though. I don't need one. So it looks like I have a machine of limited use and software that I can't use with the machine anymore.and I really don't want to sink any more money into the situation. 

It would be so much better if Provo Craft would just become user-friendly and stop trying to gouge people for $50 cartridges.  All we need is the ability to create our own designs.   It's so frustrating.  My suggestion would be for them to make iPad compatible software which would allow people to cut their own freehanded designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment