Sunday, November 2, 2014

Needsum Magnesium

At some point in the past year I read about magnesium deficiency causing metabolism problems and decided to start taking vitamins again.  Then I noticed that my vitamins, listed as "complete", contained no magnesium whatsoever.  Because I was juicing a lot of kale at the time, I forgot all about that.  After all, green leafy veggies are loaded with the mineral.  

My migraines are getting worse, so I read the articles that I find, and last night I found one that mentioned a correlation between magnesium deficiency and migraines.  It also said that migraines with aura (mine are called scintillating scotoma) double the risk of stroke.  Add that to my mother's strokes, and I may be in trouble.    

But another few interesting things: magnesium deficiency, IBS, and migraines.  It's all about the nerves.  Furthermore, the more migraines you have, the more likely it is that you'll develop fibromyalgia.  A third of migraine suffers get fibromyalgia because the constant migraine pain overactivates pain responses. Well, I have been hurting all over for a while, but I thought it was just aging.  Maybe those nerves are on edge all the time.  I wouldn't say fibro at this point, but maybe I am hurting a lot more than I used to.  I guess I'd better keep the Imitrex handy.

Maybe that's why the pain from my "irritated femoral nerve" has worsened.  In my imagination, it's like the Colorado River carving it's way through an easier riverbed for transporting agony.  My nervous system is deteriorating.  *sigh*

I was diagnosed a few years ago with IBS, but it manifests primarily in intense abdominal pain and swelling.  (At least I don't have to deal with the other two major symptoms often, though I think I have them more often than a normal person.) The pain feels like broken glass is moving through my digestive tract, and honestly, it makes me want to stop eating altogether sometimes.  I deal with it most days, so no comments about my swollen belly, ok? :)

Yesterday I looked for multivitamins with magnesium again, and couldn't find any. :(. I guess I'll just have to get a standalone supplement to get the recommended 600 mg per day that is reportedly the right amount to avoid migraines and IBS symptoms.  

So that gives me more vitamins to add to my hypochondriac-esque pill dispenser box.  It only holds vitamins, I promise.  It's one of those 1 week am & pm ones, so I just fill it with a two week supply.  I feel better if I remember my vitamins, and the box is just a timesaver.  If I open several bottles every morning, it takes me forever, and I tend to spill them.  :). Before coffee.  This way I just open one little box and I'm done. 

So I'm not a hypochondriac (the pain is real) and I try not to take painkillers because I don't want to get hooked on them.  There's also the problem of OTC drugs causing rebound headaches.  So that's bad.  :). 

Trying to make one doctor hear that all this is connected is difficult.  They all want to hear one symptom per office visit charge, and come back for another charge if you have another symptom.  They've largely forgotten that the point of being a doctor is to heal, not to rack up co-payments.  I don't mind paying fees for proper treatment, but I know when I'm being obviously hustled.  It makes me less likely to seek medical treatment when I need it.

I'm hoping for the day when medical science goes Star Trek and they can just scan people to find all the interrelated health problems and fix them with a few buttons pressed. :)  Though I suppose that would mean that hundreds of parties might not profit from my illness.  As you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment