Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Hilton Head

So, here I am on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.  My aunt and uncle let us use their condo for our vacation, and I'm here with my brother and nephew.  There is about a mile long boardwalk to traverse over a salt marsh to get to the beach, so I'm managing to get in a little exercise, along with climbing four flights of stairs to get to our room.  

And I'm wheezing uncontrollably at the top of the second floor.  It's painful.  It's scary.  It's embarrassing.  But how do you ask everyone to help you with your asthma by not surrounding you with cigarette smoke?  You can't.  They have rights.  The right to pollute every bit of my air with carcinogens of their choice.  

I just wish I had the right to clean air. I'm a lesser being as a non smoker.

Well, it's beautiful here, anyway.  There are trees everywhere, shading the streets and shopping center parking lots, keeping things cool and shady.  Apparently, some ordinance requires signage to be unobtrusive and low to the ground.  It looks less commercially bald than it does back home.  Everything is calmer here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment