Thursday, July 23, 2015

Burrito Making Time

It just hit me: I really need to take some time today and tomorrow to make some freezer meals for the school year.  I don't have much time left.  Eek!  

Last year I made beef and bean burritos and breakfast burritos, and they were really handy to keep in the freezer. I think I might branch out into making some breakfast muffins as well.  Even though I intend to continue juicing as long as I can stand to, there have been mornings on which I realized I did not prepare for the following day's juices. Sometimes you just run out of time to do everything.

Now, while I really love our school cafeteria's food on most days, I realize that it is not the most healthy choice for someone with my age and health considerations to indulge in.  Preparation and planning are  allies in eating healthfully on busy days.  And let's face it -- for the first month of the school year, every day is a busy day.

Here's my recipe for Breakfast Burritos. Servings: 22
14 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 lb. pork sausage
1 pkg hash browns
1/2 onion (optional)
1 pint salsa (I used salsa I canned, so I used the whole pint.)
8 oz. shredded Mexican cheese blend
24 pack medium flour tortillas 
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Cook the sausage in a skillet until browned. Drain. Pour into large mixing bowl
Cook the onions in the skillet used for the sausage. Pour into bowl with cooked sausage.
Cook the hash browns until they begin browning.  Pour into large bowl.  Mix up sausage, onions, and hash browns in the large bowl and season to taste.

Scramble the eggs with the milk and pour into a large skillet.  Pour in the contents of large mixing bowl and cook until eggs have set, stirring often.  Turn off heat.

Pour in salsa and cheese and mix thoroughly.

Tear off a sheet of plastic wrap about a foot long.  Lay it on your work surface.  Place one tortilla on top.  Near the end closest to you, place about 5 tablespoons of filling (I use a Pampered Chef large scoop, so a couple of level scoops is plenty) across the middle of the tortilla.  Begin rolling the burrito up, remembering to tuck in the ends as you go.  Roll the burrito up in the plastic wrap (I like Press N Seal) after.  Place finished and wrapped breakfast burritos in a freezer zip bag and put them in the freezer.  

When you're ready to eat one, you can put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes of still frozen, and a minute or less if you let it thaw overnight in the fridge first.

And that's breakfast for a good month of school.  :)

~~~~~~~~

Oh my.... I just thought of something.  You know how sometimes you need to send a student on a walk, just to give them a moment?  I know that sometimes teachers send them to another teacher on a bogus errand just to give them a breather.  I don't like to think of bothering another teacher for such a task.

I could keep a single plastic cafeteria glass at my desk and send a student on the errand to return it to the cafeteria when they need to take a walk.  Hmm.  That just might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment