Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lion Brand Pelt Cowl

I'm (in my own estimation) an advanced beginner in knitting.  I've finally gotten to the point where I can remember how to cast on and knit without consulting instructions, and my speed has increased because I changed from English to Continental knitting style.  

Well, heck, I crochet, so why shouldn't I apply my manual dexterity in making knitting easier for myself?

My former objection to knitting was that I was painfully slow and my stitches were uneven, but with a little practice I improved from what my mother taught me when I was 12 and threw down the needles in frustration.  I'd been working on a headband, and somehow increased from 12 stitches to 21 stitches.  She was amused.  I was extremely angry at myself.  

And then the Internet came along, and became robust enough I could learn much more than the resources of my little podunk town could provide.  I practiced.  I quit.  I saw something I wanted and tried again.  I quit.  I made some fabulous sweaters on a knitting machine.  I quit.  I saw how fat my crocheted stuff made me look, longed for drapier handmades, and tried again.  This time, it stuck, so I try new techniques when I create something. I'm not to the point of being able to look at a photo of something and know what size needles, what size yarn, and come up with a pattern off the top of my head, not yet.  So, advanced beginner.  

I saw a gorgeous knitted faux-fur cowl on the Lion Brand website.  Here it is:

(Photo property of www.lionbrand.com)

Isn't that lovely?  So I went over to our local Joann's, found the Pelt yarn for the pattern, and used all the coupons I had (and my boyfriend helped), to buy all the skeins of Pelt they had. Six. They only keep six.  Fortunately, that's all I needed.  

I knitted in the car across the state and back on Saturday.  I worked on it on Sunday.  On Monday.  Late Monday night, I finished.  

It's beautiful, lemme tell ya!  It's soft and realistic feeling.  My dog loves the stuff.  It's 98% real fur looking, but all synthetic and machine washable.  

Oddly enough, it was pretty easy to work with, unless I made a mistake.  Dropped stitches are impossible to see and fix, but the good news is that with all that fur, all fixes and wrong stitches will never show.  

I'll admit that I kept stopping to rub the fabric I'd made against my face. Mmm!  

This is a project worth learning to knit for.

Make you one? Sure.  Do you have $250?  Materials aren't cheap, and I don't work for free anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment