Saturday, March 5, 2016

It's Going Down

On the subject of my chubbiness for our upcoming wedding, it was a good thing I started drinking all that water.  No, it didn't make me start shedding massive pounds, (my ankles swelled up again, actually) but as it turned out, I was going to be drinking copious amounts of water anyway.  

No, I don't actually look as heavy as I actually am, and I found out why.  I finally found a doctor-run weight loss program that isn't just a daily dose of Phentermine and buh-bye, and every ten days or so I have my body composition scanned. I started out with an 18 on the visceral fat scale.  Yep, that's the dangerous stuff blanketing and choking your organs, and after ten days on the program, I had dropped down so low on visceral fat that it wasn't registering on the bar graph.  The readout said I was at a scale of 10 for visceral fat.  So that's good, much healthier, and no surprise because visceral fat is the easiest fat to burn and it tends to go first, from the research I've done elsewhere.  

I'm taking special supplements and eating a very low calorie diet (the quoted "under 1000 calories per day" turned out in reality to be more like 550 calories a day for me in reality), and I'm not abnormally hungry or tired.  The B12 supplement takes care of the energy, but I was told I wouldn't really be hungry because my body would be burning fat for fuel (as it is supposed to do, though mine has not been) instead of storing it.

I'm told I can definitely hit my goal weight before the wedding, and in 15 days, I've lost over 12 pounds.  No amphetamines, just a normal feeling of decent energy I'd been missing out on for years.  I just don't feel like a total slug.  

Do I believe that I'll hit my goal in just one round of the program?  Welllll, I'm healthily skeptical.  I believe it will take two rounds, and I'm not going to be heartbroken if it does.  Even if I'm halfway or better to my goal, that's a major improvement in how I'll look and feel!  Much less chance that I'll keep getting hurt running. :). I believe I'll for sure be at least 75% to my goal by the wedding, but I'm sure I'll be able to keep it off, because this program works by straightening out weight-regulating hormones.  

I won't lie -- I'm missing being able to eat chocolate and sugar, though I'm not exactly craving them anymore. I just want a few bites.  Having to cook my own clean meals is a lot less convenient than going to a restaurant, but I'm getting to eat shrimp a few times a week on this diet.  I could have lobster, crab, and scallops too, but they aren't that attractive to me prep-wise, and I'm still not much of a lobster fan.  

It's not easy, and it's not cheap, but I've seen evidence that it's effective.  Usually, easy weight loss means that it's not sustainable, or it's dangerous.  I still believe in juicing for weight loss, but this winter I didn't have any luck with it.  Local fresh produce was pretty pathetic this winter.  My weight didn't budge.  

The bright side about the clean eating -- I'm enjoying what I cook and realizing I'm a pretty damn good cook when it comes to making my good taste good.  I don't know how I know how to do it, unless it's from years of absorbed info from TV and reading, because nobody EVER told me how to sauté kale and make it delicious, and I'm not one to stomach traditional lazy, boil-the-hell-out-of-them greens.  You know, the kind people cover in hot sauce to cover the nastiness. Gooey, gloppy mustard and turnip greens.  Taste bad and smell bad, and stink up the whole house.  But kale... Sautéed in a little fat free chicken broth until it wilts a little and turns bright green, seasoned with lemon pepper?  Pretty tasty!  Makes me feel like Popeye after he eats his spinach - energized.

I feel like this is my last chance to get this weight off for good before I am too old and unwell to make it happen, so I signed up for the program and I've been successful thus far.  :D 

And does that make me happy?
Quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment