Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Thoughts on Arthritis and Pains in the Neck

I'm waiting to get my nails done (okay, to get a fill done on the nail tips I had put on for our wedding) and hearing a pedicure customer talk about how her arthritis disappears for days after a simple leg massage. 

Is that possible? Hmm. Hey, what if it is? What if it's the placebo effect? What does it matter if the pain goes bye bye?

I have arthritis in my neck and back. I've probably had it since I was 15, when I was in a car accident and injured my neck. 

My back and neck have hurt me all this time to some degree, and probably contributed to the frequency of my migraines. 

After being accused of whining and hypochondria for years, I finally stopped telling anyone I was in pain and learned to live with it.  As you do. Daily pain has become normal. I was surprised when my chiropractor showed me the extent of the damage in my X-rays. I suppose I felt vindicated. 

It even eased some of the nasty meanness directed my way once. (As in being accused of being a shameless attention seeker).  I'd told (who I thought was a friend) someone after 9/11 that I had met one of the men who brought down the plane in Pennsylvania.  Nothing in that other than how sad it was. He wouldn't have remembered me anyway. I think we said hi once in passing in the hallway. Anyway, this so-called friend  nastily responded "Well I guess that makes you famous, doesn't it!!!"

Um, where did that come from? Oh, just likely his true nature.  With a nasty attitude like that, I began to suspect that maybe there was something to his ending up in court over spousal abuse charges. I know he did a lot of self-aggrandizement over the course of our friendship, but who would make that up to sound impressive?  Maybe there was truth to it after all and once again, I got lucky through rejection. 

I guess my mind connected the neck and spinal arthritis to that memory of him because supposedly he's got it too. Not that we are kindred spirits. Just two humans whose path crossed and coincidence struck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment