Saturday, April 15, 2017

Darn You, Scoliosis...

At my first chiropractic consultation, I saw my x-rays, showing a sharp turn just below my skull (instead of a gentle curve) and a curve to the left in my lower back. It's funny -- I didn't know I had scoliosis until my 40s, though I'd had the back pain symptomatic of it since my teens. (And no, nobody would take me to a doctor for it. I believe they just thought I was making it up, like my migraines. Ta da, they were for real, and likely due to malnourishment. So you tell me, is the person responsible the one who would proclaim “I'm tired of cooking, so we are having turnip greens for dinner.  Too bad you won't eat them”? Or maybe I'm being too harsh on the Saint? Or maybe I saw a side of the Saint those she actually loved never saw. Think it's possible a stepparent might play favorites against the stepchildren?)  All right, enough of that. Just understand that I had a much different treatment than the beloveds. It still hurts. So I have one affected leg, which burns with electrical fire or twangs with a physically irritating numbness on other occasions.  

The picture for all this pain has finally started to coalesce into visible conditions.  I'd stopped going to the chiropractor because of my husband’s iffy insurance, and now he's on mine, which I suspect was better anyway.  I couldn't go for treatment for my pain when he couldn't go for his.  It just didn't seem right to me.

I thought I was getting away with not going until my massage on Thursday. My massage therapist said she could tell I haven't been to the chiropractor in a long time because my back was all curved to the side and all the muscles on the right were knotted up together.  Sounds ooh la la and fancy to go for massages? Well, mine are pretty rough.  I'm not complaining.  Lol. I always feel bruised afterward.  Oh but there are some parts that feel great and never get tender, because they aren't injured to begin with, but even when you use a foam roller on yourself, the key is that you press into that fascia until it HURTS, and then you hold it there.  Yeeeouch.  

It's just another form of physical therapy, and I need it because I haven't been able to work those knots out myself, and I've tried a lot of things -- percussion massager, tennis ball, lacrosse ball, a Rumble Roller called a Beastie because of the barbs in it, resistance bands, foam rollers, stretching, and even a Marathon Stick.  She takes care of it for me, and I should probably be going more often, actually.  And I have to go back to the chiropractor too.  :(

Will this get better? I doubt it.  Given the arthritis in my spine, it's all degenerative. I guess I'll have to stick to weightlifting and just ignore the pain all day and night. At least I'm moving back towards where I used to be on weightlifting and doing a lot of exercises to strengthen my back.  I'm up to 95 pounds on deadlifts.  I know it isn't much, but it all helps. I'll let you know if I ever get to the spray-tan-look-at-me-on-stage day.

No comments:

Post a Comment